Skip to main content

The French Toast Connection

  The French Toast Connection  

     So, when we first got married, Michelle couldn't cook.  As a bachelor, I had survived on oatmeal, eggs, sandwiches, spaghetti, salad and canned soup and that was good enough for me. Michelle's cooking skills were on par with mine, except my eggs, sandwiches, spaghetti and salads were better. Michelle, however, wanted to improve her cooking skills so, every couple of months, she would try a new recipe on us. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it was okay, sometimes it didn't turn out so well.

     One morning, when Logan was about three years old and Conner was about six, Michelle decided to give french toast a go for the first time. I like french toast, but the boys had never had it.  Michelle called us, saying breakfast was about ready.  We all sat down in our usual places.  Michelle next to me and the boys across from us.  Michelle put a slice of french toast on each of our plates.  They smelled really good.  We each took a bite, pretty much simultaneously, and sat back to chew.

     I took one chew and my eyes shot wide open.  I stopped chewing.  In fact, I froze in place. It was the most disgusting, mushy texture I had ever had in my mouth. I didn't know what to do.  I didn't want to hurt my wife's feelings, by running to the sink, spitting it out, and shoving my mouth under the kitchen faucet, but I also didn't want to chew any more of that horrible thing and release anymore of its horrid taste into my mouth.  So there I sat, my jaws spread as far apart as possible, while keeping my lips sealed and balancing the portion of, "french toast", that was in my mouth, on as small a part of my tongue as possible.  That way, it wouldn't contaminate the rest of my mouth.  I glanced over at the boys to see what their reactions were.

     Conner was sitting ramrod straight, with his eyes wide open.  I could see his lower jaw distended too, and his lips slightly parted.  He wasn't chewing either.  I saw him looking in fear at his mother and then he shot a panicked glance at me, I could see the pleading question in his eyes,
"I don't want to get yelled at! What am I supposed to do?"

     I quickly looked at Logan, the most uninhibited member of our family, to see his reaction. Logan had just taken his first chew.  He stopped and the happy, innocent smile on his face was replaced by a blank expression.  He leaned forward, his jaws opened wide, and he let the slightly chewed bite of, "french toast", slowly slide out of his mouth and plop back onto his plate, as we all looked on. Normally, I would have scolded him for that, but I couldn't open my mouth, because it was filled with saliva and a slowly dissolving mess of, "french toast".  Logan then picked up his napkin, wiped his tongue off, and put his napkin down.  Then he reached for his sippy cup, drank his milk down and matter-of-factly advised us all, with a cheery, innocent smile,
"Oh, I forgot!  I already ATE breakfast."

     Conner and I stared in frustration at each other, each silently saying to the other,
"DAMN!  Why didn't I think of that?"
I was silently debating with myself, whether it would be worth a try to say,
"Yeah, I forgot, I ate breakfast too!", before Conner thought of it, OR should I let Conner try it first and see if he got yelled at, but then if he got away with it, how likely would it be that the same excuse would fly a third time?  My silent struggle was ended when Michelle said,
"These are terrible, you guys don't have to eat them. We'll have cereal."

     We were all relieved, especially Logan, who palm slapped himself on the forehead and said,
"Oh wait a minute!  That was YESTERDAY that I had breakfast.  I'll have Cocoa Puffs, please."

     Michelle later told me that instead of dipping the slices of bread in the egg batter, she had soaked them.  Lesson learned.


Comments

  1. Ha ha ha!! I love it! "Oh, I forgot! I already ATE breakfast." Hilarious that it took the three year old to come up with that! You are a fine storyteller good sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are pretty damn funny. Sometimes you kind of wish they would stay kids. I hope you keep reading.

      Delete
  2. Very strange - the british tradition of making "eggy bread" is to soak the bread

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my wife used to be a terrible cook. in addition to soaking the bread too much, she probably didn't cook it long enough, or she cooked it at too low a temperature, or both.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Case #11- The LASD vs L.A.P.D. (playing cops and cops)

     In September 1987, the Carson patrol area known as, "Tortilla Flats", was suffering a rash of burglaries.  To combat this, Deputy Ray Gayton-Jacob and Al Harris, who were training officers at the time, came up with a burglary suppression plan.  On, about, Wednesday, September 14, 1987, Ray and his trainee would be dressed in full uniform, but in an unmarked, Chevy Malibu, detective car.  They would cruise the Tortilla Flats neighborhood looking for burglars.  Al and his trainee, would remain outside of the neighborhood in a regular patrol car.  If Ray and his partner saw something suspicious, they would keep an eye on it and call in Al and his trainee to check it out.      Things were quiet, until about 1:00 A.M..  Ray, and his trainee, had just finished jamming a hype at Torrance Boulevard and New Hampshire Avenue and had resumed their patrol.  Ray spotted a black and white patrol car coming slowly their way.  Ray assumed it was Al.  Ray assumed wrong.  It was an L.A.

Case #65 - re The People vs Don Chanler (A lesson for all trainees)

  Case #65 - re The People vs Don Chanler ( A lesson for all trainees ) Don Chanler was the Question Cadet in our Academy class, class #226.  At the end of each long day, one of the staff instructors would come in and, prior to dismissing us for the day, would always ask if anyone had any questions about the day's classes.  There was only one cadet who would ever raise his hand.  Don Frickin' Chanler.  Chanler would immediately raise his hand and the staff instructor would resignedly call his name. Chanler would always ask obvious question, after obvious question, delaying our release for the day with ev-ery sin-gle point-less ques-tion.  As with all Question Cadets, only he was interested in what he had to ask.  Three years later, Don Frickin Chanler came to Carson with me, Mike Chacon and about 8 other people from our Academy class.  In Patrol School, we were not relieved to discover that he had not changed.  In fact he had gotten worse, because not only was he the Question C

On Nicknames

  On Nicknames My wife once asked me why a large number of my male friends and acquaintances are referred to by nicknames. “Oso”, “Rick the Hawaiian”, “Vic the SEAL”, Chinaman Dave”, “Little Dave”, “Big Dave”, “Mexican Dave”, “Dave the plumber”, “Cliffdiver”, “Bucky”, “the Count”, the “Rock”, “Code 4 Greg”, “White Shaft”, “Bosko”, “Chodown”, “Sexual Chocolate”, “Kianporiguez”, “Krakatoa”, “Brian the Bee Guy”, “Chip” (aka, “Okie”), “Cowboy”, “Spot”, “Seven”, “Red Dot”, “Spiderman” aka “Turtleman”, “Freddie Krueger” and  “Smilin' Bob”, were a few. In pretty much any group, made up mostly of men, you will find that nicknames are common. There are probably more guys nicknamed, “Tex”, in the military than in Texas. Most nicknames are a result of one of the following. - An adapted version of your actual name. “G8”, was so named, because nobody could pronounce his name and there were 8 letters in it, beginning with “G”. “Bosckovich, which has even more letters, but was at least pro