Skip to main content

Case #45 - The People Vs Wayde Farrell (Reflecting Back on my First Shooting)

Case #45 - The People Vs Wayde Farrell (Reflecting Back on my First Shooting)

     When I first joined the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department in 1985, I was living alone in an apartment in Long Beach, near 7th Street and Cherry Avenue.  Not the nicest part of town at the time.  It was a one bedroom, with a living room and a small kitchen.  The building itself was one story and my place was closest to the alleyway.

     So one night I got off work and drove home.  All the lights in my place were off, because I left for work in the afternoon. I unlocked my front door, walked in and turned on the living room light. I walked across the living room to my bedroom door, which was directly across from the front door.  I opened the door and took one step inside.  Without turning on the light in the bedroom, I reached across my body and pulled my 6" Smith & Wesson .357 revolver from it's holster under my left arm.  I reached down to set it on the dresser to my right.  As I did that, the ambient light from the living room allowed me to see the silhouette of a guy standing against the wall to my right, in front of my closet, on the opposite side of the dresser. I could see him from the waist up.

     I immediately went from setting my gun down on the dresser to raising to point at the intruder.  As I was raising my gun, I saw the intruder appeared to be raising a gun to aim at me. I got my gun to shoulder level, as the intruder did the same.  There was no time for talking and I quickly fired off one round, as I backed around the corner of the door jamb back into the living room.

     I turned off the living room lights and waited and listened.  All I could hear was my breathing, my rapid heartbeat and the pulse in my ears.  I reached around the door jamb and turned on the bedroom lights.  A split second later, I sneaked a peek into the room with my gun extended toward where I had last seen the intruder.  I saw I had shot my foe.  He was armed and he was not alive.  He happened to be my reflection in the full length mirror on my closet door.  Even though I did shoot my reflection in  the chest, the author, Robert Rangel refused to include me in his bestseller book, "The Red Dot Club, where he interviews officers who have survived being shot.  I mean WTF!  My reflection was shot in the chest!

VERDICT - Wayde, Wayde, Wayde... Yer a damn fine shot, I'll give ye that, but ye seems ta be a bit Trigger Happy.  Normally the Court system frowns on folks bein' Trigger Happy, but ye are a deputy sheriff after all, so it's ta be 'spected.  However, this Court finds ye Guilty o' Being Drunk 'n' Tired.   Why else would ye's be confessin' to such a bit of foolishness?  I know fer a fact that ye have plenty more o' them there heelarious Jeff Fleming, Rick Cocke, and Dave Kluth stories.  And I know folks cain't wait ta hear a Bob Esson Story!  And don't forget that embarrasin' tale about little Mikey Gomez and that stuff he used to drink out of that dildo looking thingy.  I guess your savin' those for a special occasion. Oh!  And yer also found Guilty o' Bein' Twitchy.  What's that bailiff?  Oh.  Alrighty then, I find ye Not Guilty o' Bein' Twitchy.  Ayparently, ye didn't take yer seizure meds today, even though ye told the missus ye did.  And another thing boyo, I'm issuing a restraining order against you.  You are to stop leaving messages on Robert Rangel's message machine and car window.  You are to stop texting him, emailing him, slow mailing him and PMing him on Facebook.  Shooting your reflection in a mirror does not qualify you as a member of the Red Dot Club.  It qualifies you as a member of the I Dot Club, ya i-dot!

SENTENCE - Wayde Farrell, the Court orders ye to either buy one of them there light timer thingys, or a clapper.  You know that, "Clap on, Clap off", doohickey that they sell on late night T.V. fer jest $19.95... two fer that price, if'n yer quick about it.  That oughta keep ye's from blastin' all the reflective services in yer humble abode.

Comments

  1. OMG!... That was a close encounter of the worst kind.... That explains the seven years of torment you experienced just after that experience. Admittedly, I almost peed in my pants laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...7 years of torment...", nice! I wish it had only been 7 years. I've been married for almost 26 years. Maybe it was a special mirror.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! We are all, after all, just human!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks. The reason I put "... Normally the Court system frowns on folks bein' Trigger Happy, but ye are a deputy sheriff after all, so it's ta be 'spected." is, there used to be a saying in L.A. County that criminals used to have. "LAPD will shoot you to death, but the LASD will beat you to death."

      LAPD and LASD are the two biggest law enforcement agencies in L.A. County and they have a friendly rivalry, so if one does something, the other tries to do it better.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Case #11- The LASD vs L.A.P.D. (playing cops and cops)

     In September 1987, the Carson patrol area known as, "Tortilla Flats", was suffering a rash of burglaries.  To combat this, Deputy Ray Gayton-Jacob and Al Harris, who were training officers at the time, came up with a burglary suppression plan.  On, about, Wednesday, September 14, 1987, Ray and his trainee would be dressed in full uniform, but in an unmarked, Chevy Malibu, detective car.  They would cruise the Tortilla Flats neighborhood looking for burglars.  Al and his trainee, would remain outside of the neighborhood in a regular patrol car.  If Ray and his partner saw something suspicious, they would keep an eye on it and call in Al and his trainee to check it out.      Things were quiet, until about 1:00 A.M..  Ray, and his trainee, had just finished jamming a hype at Torrance Boulevard and New Hampshire Avenue and had resumed their patrol.  Ray spotted a black and white patrol car coming slowly their way.  Ray assumed it was Al.  Ray assumed wrong.  It was an L.A.

Case #65 - re The People vs Don Chanler (A lesson for all trainees)

  Case #65 - re The People vs Don Chanler ( A lesson for all trainees ) Don Chanler was the Question Cadet in our Academy class, class #226.  At the end of each long day, one of the staff instructors would come in and, prior to dismissing us for the day, would always ask if anyone had any questions about the day's classes.  There was only one cadet who would ever raise his hand.  Don Frickin' Chanler.  Chanler would immediately raise his hand and the staff instructor would resignedly call his name. Chanler would always ask obvious question, after obvious question, delaying our release for the day with ev-ery sin-gle point-less ques-tion.  As with all Question Cadets, only he was interested in what he had to ask.  Three years later, Don Frickin Chanler came to Carson with me, Mike Chacon and about 8 other people from our Academy class.  In Patrol School, we were not relieved to discover that he had not changed.  In fact he had gotten worse, because not only was he the Question C

On Nicknames

  On Nicknames My wife once asked me why a large number of my male friends and acquaintances are referred to by nicknames. “Oso”, “Rick the Hawaiian”, “Vic the SEAL”, Chinaman Dave”, “Little Dave”, “Big Dave”, “Mexican Dave”, “Dave the plumber”, “Cliffdiver”, “Bucky”, “the Count”, the “Rock”, “Code 4 Greg”, “White Shaft”, “Bosko”, “Chodown”, “Sexual Chocolate”, “Kianporiguez”, “Krakatoa”, “Brian the Bee Guy”, “Chip” (aka, “Okie”), “Cowboy”, “Spot”, “Seven”, “Red Dot”, “Spiderman” aka “Turtleman”, “Freddie Krueger” and  “Smilin' Bob”, were a few. In pretty much any group, made up mostly of men, you will find that nicknames are common. There are probably more guys nicknamed, “Tex”, in the military than in Texas. Most nicknames are a result of one of the following. - An adapted version of your actual name. “G8”, was so named, because nobody could pronounce his name and there were 8 letters in it, beginning with “G”. “Bosckovich, which has even more letters, but was at least pro